eBay is a popular online auction platform where many car dealers can list their new and used cars for sale easily and quickly. The most helpful feature of eBay is allowing dealers and customers to negotiate good terms that may not be available in land-based auto shops. Therefore, close good deals in a win-win situation.
So, if you’re about to look for a car on eBay, you have to remember that it will be a long process. There will be many cars to choose from, and you must be extremely cautious when selecting one. In this article, we listed the steps of buying a car on eBay in detail.
Important Things to Bear in Mind Before Buying a Car on eBay
- What type of vehicles to purchase: as mentioned earlier, car choices on eBay are numerous. So, you will get lost and puzzled if you don’t know the type of car you want to purchase. Decide everything about your future car: size, color, performance, number of doors, etc.
- Setting the budget: you must follow two basic rules when Buying A Car On eBay. Firstly, don’t spend more than half of your annual earnings on a new car.
Secondly, when buying a car on loan, the down payment should be 20% of the car’s price. Also, you should choose a loan period of no more than four years, and the monthly payments can’t exceed 10% of the salary.
- Registration document: you should also familiarize yourself with the documents needed to transfer the registration. And that is by inquiring about the details from the Department of Motor Vehicles in your state, as it differs from one state to another.
How Does Buying a Car on eBay Work?
The process is quite simple; the sellers will list their vehicles up for sale on the platform and provide all necessary details. As a buyer, you can use eBay search functionality to filter the results by selecting the manufacturer, model, price range, year, and car condition.
After finding a suitable vehicle, the site will offer two purchasing options:
Place a bid
This option allows you to set your bidding limits. Which is the maximum amount you’re willing to pay to get the car. During the bidding period, the bids will slowly increase until it reaches the limits set by the buyer. If you still insist on purchasing the vehicle, they can choose to exceed the bid limit at any time.
Finally, when the buyer wins the bid, they have to send the money to the seller, get ready to ship the car, and complete all the required paperwork.
Use the buy it now button
Suppose you have set your mind on a particular vehicle and are not interested in getting in the bidding process and competing with other buyers. You can always purchase the car directly by paying the seller the price they asked for.
Ship the new car from eBay
Unlike what many people think, eBay does not offer any auto shipping options. Therefore, you must request and book all car transportation arrangements separately when buying a car on eBay.
Arrange the shipping process with a reliable auto transport company
Car transportation is no less important than buying it. Choosing a trustworthy carrier that meets the following criteria is a must:
- The company has to be licensed by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA.) It should also have a valid MC number to prove it is operating legally
- The auto shipping company must have a professional team and all required equipment to carry out the shipping process safely
- The company must have a good reputation among its customers and a proven track record
Choose the Suitable Shipping Method
There are two available carrier options to choose from when transporting a vehicle. An open trailer is the most used method because of its economic cost.
On the other hand, enclosed trailers are preferred when shipping new and valuable cars because this kind of trailer provides complete protection against external factors.
Read about Open vs. Enclosed Car Shipping.
How Much Does It Cost to Transport an Automobile?
Transportation cost is affected by several factors, and it differs from one car to another. Therefore, no company can provide a fixed cost until it knows all details, including the car’s state, carrier type, and delivery time. So, to make the cost estimation easier for clients, reliable auto transport companies offer a free car transport cost calculator on their website. This tool generates the cost estimation depending on the details mentioned above and many more, including:
- The car model and size
- The travel distance
- Pick-up and drop-off dates
- Pick-up and drop-off services, terminal-to-terminal or door-to-door
Tempus Logix covers all of the United States with professional auto transport services. The company has an online AI-powered shipping cost calculator available for free on its website. Besides having all types of shipping carriers, the company has an experienced team to organize the shipping process from pick-up to drop-off.
Buying a car on eBay and hiring an auto transport company to get it shipped requires a lot of planning and research. However, following the steps and tips mentioned above, you can find a good car and hire a reliable auto transport company to deliver it to your desired destination.