Electric cars have been growing in popularity in the last decade. More and more people worldwide are showing interest in buying electric vehicles to help save the planet and reduce the environmental pollution caused by gas cars.
An electric car has all the benefits of a regular car without pollutant emissions and noise. However, is it also the same in terms of shipping? Is it dangerous to ship an electric vehicle? Will it cost too much? How often do things go wrong in the process?
Here are your ten most frequently asked questions about car relocation and the answers.
1. My electric car is strong enough for long-distance driving, so why should I have it transported?
The answer is simple; if you’re traveling to a place that’s far away or planning to relocate, it’s better to have your car shipped than drive all the way there. Transporting your vehicle is a secure relocation method to reduce the chances of car accidents and avoid surprising weather conditions. Moreover, it saves the wear and tear of driving the car for a long time.
2. What are the benefits of transporting electric cars?
There are many benefits associated with relocating your electric car with the help of an car transport company. These benefits include avoiding traffic jams on highways, saving money on car maintenance, and going through the road without worrying about charging points or running out of battery power before reaching your destination.
It also allows you to choose other means of transportation to your location, such as flying while your car is being shipped.
3. Are there any downsides to transporting electric vehicles?
Electric cars are more challenging to transport than their gas counterparts. And that’s because they contain a lot of sensitive electronics and components that can easily be damaged in an accident.
For example, there’s the problem of the lithium-ion battery; batteries that contain lithium are more efficient and eco-friendly, and that’s why they’re used in electric vehicles. However, there have been several accidents concerning cars with lithium-ion batteries and reports of electric cars catching fire during shipping.
4. Does it cost more money to ship an electric car?
Yes, it does cost more to ship an electric car. Because of the fragile elements and lithium-ion batteries, extra care is needed when shipping an electric vehicle. However, if you are willing to pay more for your shipment, you should be able to find a reputable company that can provide an affordable service.
Tempus Logix is among the best auto shipping companies around the U.S. It has a long history of transporting cars safely. Get with the customer service agents and tell them precisely about your car’s type and shipping conditions.
5. Are there any special regulations for shipping an electric car?
According to the instructions issued by the U.S. Department of Transportation’s (DOT) Hazardous Materials Regulations, Lithium-ion batteries are considered hazardous because they cause electrical and chemical accidents.
These regulations apply to all lithium batteries, including those in electric vehicles. The EPA-approved labeling system ensures that shippers know how to pack their shipments for transport properly.
6. Is it safe to transport my electric car?
It is safe to have your car transported to a new location. While accidents can happen, they are very rare, and with the right precautions, you can trust that your vehicle will be safe and sound.
7. What insurance adjustments are required when shipping electric vehicles?
Electric vehicles do not require insurance adjustments, and insurance requirements for shipping electric vehicles are the same as those for shipping standard cars. However, you must check with your insurer or auto transport service provider to confirm this.
8. What condition should the E.V. batteries be in before they are transported?
E.V. batteries must have a minimum state of charge (SOC), so if the battery is fully discharged, it may not be capable of providing needed power to start the vehicle again. The minimum SOC that a battery can be at before shipping is typically 50%.
9. How do I prepare my electric car for transport?
Here are a few things before you should do your electric car get shipped.
- If you have an electric vehicle that uses a charge point, ensure it’s disconnected from the car and turned off before preparing your E.V. for shipment. This precaution will prevent any damage from occurring during transit.
- Before loading your E.V. onto the carrier, ensure all doors are closed, windows are up, and the hood is closed. This step will protect your car from exposure to elements during the transfer.
- Remove all the valuables from your car. By that, you will ensure nothing gets lost while transporting your vehicle. Read about Shipping a Car and Personal Items Together.
10. What to do if I have more questions?
If you have more questions about the process of relocating your electric cars, contact your transport company, Tempus Logix offers helpful customer support, who are ready to answer all your questions and help through the whole process.
Whether you’re considering relocating or buying a new electric car, don’t be afraid of auto transportation. Once you find the right company and follow the transport instructions, you should be able to go through the process smoothly.